good planets are hard to find

"The earth we abuse and the living things we kill, will, in the end, take their revenge; for in exploiting their presence we are diminishing our future." -- Marya Mannes

Friday, May 05, 2006

Best Co-Workers of All Time

This isn't exactly environment-related but it's totally worthy of a blog.

I bought a brand new bicycle last August and as some of you already know, it was stolen a couple of weeks ago.

I was sitting at home on a drizzly Sunday evening when it occurred to me that I should probably bring in my bicycle and lock it up in the basement since I wouldn't be using it anytime soon with all the rain predicted in the forecast. I usually kept it locked up against the fence outside my building when I was using it regularly. Being too lazy, I decided to put it off until the next day. Monday morning I walked right past and didn't even notice it was missing. I only found out when my friend/neighbor emailed me about it as she noticed my severed lock dangling from the fence on her way to work. Damn thieves.

Of course at work I told my co-workers all about this and they all felt sorry for me but what can you do? Bikes get stolen all the time. Soonafter, my friend ran into a decent bike at a second hand store for $15 and decided to buy it for me. It's a super cute bike. Having told a few people at work about this purchase, one of my co-workers approached me and told me that my co-workers had already pitched in money towards getting me a new bicycle! So this afternoon, I went to pick it out. It's very similar to my last bike - but better. It cost $400! They also got me a super duper dual lock. It is truly the nicest and most generous thing anyone has ever done for me and I am so honored to work with such amazing people. I am definitely not letting it out of my sight this time.

So now, I have two bicycles! Hah, screw you, thieving bastards.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home